Michele Carlson is a practicing artist, writer, educator, and curator whose interdisciplinary research investigates the intersections of history, memory, loss, race, and popular culture. Carlson was born in Seoul, Korea, but grew up in Seattle, WA and attended the University of Washington where she received a BFA in Printmaking and BAs in Interdisciplinary Visual Arts and History. After her undergraduate work, she moved to the San Francisco Bay Area where she completed an MFA in Printmaking and MA in Visual & Critical Studies from the California College of the Arts.
Her visual work, primarily works on paper, has been exhibited nationally at venues including Patricia Sweetow Gallery, the San Francisco Arts Commission, Intersection for the Arts, and Cerasoli Gallery, Los Angeles. She has received awards and fellowships from Kala Art Institute, San Francisco Arts Commission, and the Reader’s Digest Museum Foundation. Her critical writings and creative writings have been published in numerous publications including Art in America, Art Practical, and Afterimage and various exhibition catalogs. She is a regular contributor for KQED Arts where she writes about art and digital culture.
In addition to her visual work and writing practices, Carlson is an editor for Hyphen’s, a national print and online publication focusing on Asian American culture and politics. She is a member of the Curatorial Committee at Southern Exposure, in San Francisco, where she recently co-curated an exhibition titled Reverse Rehearsals, which was an iterative collaboration between 18 artists and writers.
She is currently an Adjunct Professor in the MFA Fine Arts and Visual and Critical Studies departments at California College of the Arts. She also teaches undergraduate courses in Asian American studies, studio arts, art history and visual studies at University of California, Davis and several other San Francisco Bay Area colleges.
- 05.12.2016 / Michele Carlson appointed Executive Director of Daily Serving/Art Practical
- 10.20.2014 / 2 x 2 Solo: Michele Carlson Curates, Amanda N. Simons Reviews, Emily Holmes Contributes
- 10.16.2014 / KQED: Michelle Carlson Reflects on Art/Money
- 06.13.2013 / Michele Carlson in Art Practical, Inside the Artist’s Studio: Chris E. Vargas
- 5.22.2013 / SoEx Reverse Rehearsals: Carlson, Gevirtz, Teruya, and Gannon
- 1.29.2013 / Art Practical Publishes Series by Michele Carlson
- 3.29.2011 / Sita Bhaumik, Michele Carlson, and Weston Teruya Present Panel Discussion
- 12.1.2011 / Michele Carlson Finalist for ACAC Writing Fellowship