Tina Takemoto is an interdisciplinary writer, theorist, and performance artist whose work explores issues of illness, gender, race, and queer identity. She earned an MFA at Rutgers State University of New Jeresey and a PhD in Visual Studies from Rochester University. Her current artwork and research explore the LGBT experience of the Japanese American Incarceration Camps during World War II. She has received grants funded by Art Matters, Andy Warhol Foundation, James Irvine Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, and San Francisco Arts Commission.
Her work has been exhibited and performed at Asian Art Museum, Oceanside Museum of Art, GLBT History Museum, New Conservatory Theatre, Sabina Lee Gallery, Sesnon Gallery, SF Camerawork, SOMArts, SFMOMA, and the Vargas Museum. Her film Looking for Jiro received the Jury Award for Best Experimental Film at Austin Gay and Lesbian Film Festival and has been featured at Ann Arbor Film Festival, Frameline San Francisco International LGBT Film Festival, MIX Milano Lesbian and Gay Film Festival, MIX New York Queer Experimental Film Festival, and San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival.
Articles and interviews by Tina appear in Art Journal, Hyphen, Radical Teacher, Theatre Survey, Performance Research, Afterimage, Women and Performance, GLQ, and the anthology Thinking Through the Skin.
She is the board president of Queer Cultural Center and co-founder of Queer Conversations on Culture and the Arts.
ttakemoto ‘at’ cca.edu. www.ttakemoto.com
Associate Professor, Visual Studies, Diversity Studies, Graduate Program in Visual and Critical Studies, Graduate Program in Fine Arts
BA, University of California, Berkeley; MFA, Rutgers State University of New Jersey; MA and PhD, University of Rochester
- 07.07.2014 / Tina Takemoto Featured in GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies
- 06.30.2014 / Body, body, bodies Exhibition Featured Members of VCS Community
- 02.12.2014 / Tina Takemoto to Present and Exhibit at College Art Association 2014
- 10.24.2013 / Tirza Latimer and Tina Takemoto Contributed To Art Journal Summer 2013
- 09.26.2013 / Tina Takemoto to Present “The Precarity of Queer Failure” at UC Berkeley
- 06.05.2013 / Zeitgiest Exhibition Opens: Jacqueline Francis, Tina Takemoto, Amanda N. Simons
- 05.21.2013 / SPIRIT: Century of Queer Asian Activitism with Tina Takemoto
- 5.1.2012 / Lacey Jane Roberts’ Exclusive with Tina Takemoto in Hyphen
- 3.1.2011 / Short by Tina Takemoto Tours Film Fests